Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Why You Should Maybe See "The Road" but I Can't

The Road novel ruined my Christmas vacation.

But every American who does or will eventually vote, must read this book or, at last resort, see the film opening November 25.

Two years ago I received a copy of the novel as a Christmas present. My gift–giver and I only knew that it was an Oprah book and we loved The Poisonwood Bible and respect Toni Morrison and the other authors that she has recommended. (The books in her club are not fluff).

Had some quiet down time on vacation, so I figured I’d read the first few chapters and save the rest for my subway rides to work the following week.

I finished it in four hours, never taking a break, and probably holding my breath the whole time.

Upon finishing it, I cried. I felt changed.

I felt scared for my children.

I felt afraid for the world.

Cormac McCarthy’s depiction of what would happen if civilization suffered from (some unnamed) disaster was so detailed, so plausible, such a speaking-out-loud of what I, as a child of the cold war and no-nukes was too scared to think–through so fully, that it just devastated me.

The book pulled all the situations and scenarios and images that I kept in the back in the farthest corner of my head, under locks and keys.

Oh-no-he-didn't! Yes, McCarthy went there.

THIS IS NOT A DISASTER ADVENTURE NOVEL. Maybe the film will be, but the novel is an intense story of a father and his son who love and care for each other through most extreme circumstances. There is a fleeting story of a wife/mother’s-love, albeit obviously expanded in the movie so that there can be a significant female character cast with an A-list actress (Charlize Theron).


But this is, beyond the tragedies, a heart-warming story of father of son. McCarthy has put on a human face, pulls you in, walks along the road with the main characters, makes it deep. Makes you care.

Makes you think.

It’s depressing as hell.

When the 2008 Presidential race kicked into full gear, I prayed and wished that every candidate would read The Road. I wished that every American citizen of voting age read the book before Election Day. All terrorists. It would have changed the world–view of some of them.

I hoped Oprah gave the Obamas a copy. Maybe they have read it.

[Deep sigh here]

I never thought anyone would be able to make a movie version of this novel.

That’s not entirely true.

I never wanted a movie version to be made.

In spite of my wanting everyone to read the novel, I wanted to protect everyone from not reading the novel. A film version would be too much. I didn't want to dredge up those raw fears again, that I had worked hard to fight back into the farthest corner of my mind, and put back under locks and keys.

I wouldn't want to subject my children to it. It would make them feel less safe in the world.

But you and your older teens should.


Now, to the film, which happens to open not only when the weather begins mimic the climate in the novel, it’s also sadistically–near to the holidays.


As with every person who is disappointed by the movie version of a favorite novel (Eragon the movie is so horrible that all copies should be burned and remade; Eragon the book is a revelation), of course there are doubts about making The Road. The casting of the main male character (no characters have proper names in the novel) — Viggo Mortensen — is perfect. The son is played by Kodi Smit-McPhee. A tough part. Other cast members include Guy Pearce and Robert Duvall (bless him; Duvall is one of the most brilliant actors ever). The director, John Hillcoat and adapter of the screenplay, Joe Penhall, are from Australia and the the U.K., respectively, and not well–known in the U.S.

I hope the filmmakers haven't just exploited the titillating and sensational aspects of the story and forsaken its heart, its never–ending senses of love and hope.

In spite of my struggle with two conflicting emotions/opinions (should or shouldn’t), logic prevails and I recommend everyone take a journey on some version of The Road.

But you most likely not see me there again.

No comments: